FYI: Season 5 playoffs begin November 1st. Season 6 signups open November 8th.
Switch to New Menu

NGA FORUMS

epic
GR04/8 2:02 am
RIP
Freakshow187
GR04/11 1:52 am
Still nothing I see.
epic
GR04/11 1:53 am
who are the 41 guests?
Cortana
GR-∞4/11 1:14 pm
ghost1378 (XBL: bishopworld187) registered with the website, welcome!
Cortana
GR-∞4/17 5:23 pm
You must be logged in to use the ChatBox.

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline shadowxtc  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:32:48 PM(UTC)
shadowxtc

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Hi everyone! :)

I wanted to create a place to collect any thoughts you might have about what we should do for next season. This is the NGA after all - anything is a possibility here!

If you have a suggestion or idea for something new or how to change things for the better next season, a compliment for us about something we did right last season, or a complaint or just want to bitch and moan while trolling us all - we would love to hear what you think.

We're working hard behind-the-scenes already to plan things for our next season (an announcement about signups will be at least a few weeks away most likely) and while I'm not ready to reveal any details just yet, there's always the usual list of topics that get brought up (and usually shot down due to tradition), so here they are just to get you thinking:

- Pro/Ammy Separation?
- Team Naming and Roster Lock Rules
- Prizes / Fees
- Roster Sizes and Restrictions
- Options/questions when registering a team
- Division choices / Scheduling
- Inter-division play
- Length of season / Number of games
- Playoff / Championship setup
- Other Rules
- Website improvements
- Maps: Specifically lighting, spawning configuration (NGA or GGL/Matchmaking), streaming configuration, neutral host/streaming configuration
- Base Gametype: grifball obviously, but something new? number of rounds/max score? or scorefest style? autopickup? instant respawn?
- Gametype Traits: shields/no shields, speed/jump height, hammer range/sword effectiveness, bomb carrier traits (should be able to jump over hammer range? should tanks be able to catch up?), knockback/mutuals

So here's where all of you step in (or not, but then you'll surely hear from me about it via an unsolicited M2AF!) and tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong, and anything on your wish list! :)

Thanks in advance - Oh yeah and we want to hear from everyone not just veterans - don't be shy! Everyone should get their teammates to voice their opinions as well. Your opinions will be taken very seriously during our decision making process.
NGA Logo
NGA League Administrator and Web Developer
thanks 2 users thanked shadowxtc for this useful post.
LebroNation on 3/3/2013(UTC), NeO I iNeXuS2z on 3/6/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline ActiveHate  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 8:20:03 PM(UTC)
ActiveHate

Medals: NGA FL12 Champions: NGA FL12 Champions

Groups: Registered, NGA FL12 Champions

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Alright well here's my opinion on the whole situation...

1. Pro/Ammy separation -I think just about everyone wants this here, but I could be wrong. It's not fun for the amateur teams when they have no chance at winning, nor is it fun for the Pros when those teams forfeit later on in the week. Teams need a reason to get better, much like new players need a reason to get involved here. Therefore I believe the combination of better prizes and making the distinction between both leagues is the best way to accomplish this.

When I first joined Grifball I wanted to play with the best. Even though I joined amateur for my first season, I always kept tabs on the Pro league, and made sure to follow whoever was good. The Pro/Amateur setup gives people a reason to prove they can play with the big boys. This would be even better if we come up with a HoF system too. After all, everyone loves a little recognition.

2. Team Naming and Roster Lock rules -Pro teams need to be more creative with their name, if we want to draw in big crowds to our streams. In order to accomplish this I think team names should be monitored carefully. We should urge everyone to pick something that sounds professional so we don't end up with teams like Jackals with freaking laser beams, Sallys Exotic Dancers, Captain Crunch and the Cereal Killers etc... These restrictions should apply to Pro teams only for the time being though.

As for the roster lock rules, I'm in favor of letting teams trade up until makeup week. In order to prevent trade abuse, we could make it so that once a player is traded from a team they can't be traded back to that team for the remainder of the season. If a trade is proposed both teams captains must agree to it, and no player should be allowed to leave on their own free will. Once they sign up with a team they should be "locked in" until they're traded somewhere else. Administrators will reserve the right to veto any trades if we suspect you're abusing the rule.

3. Prizes/Fees - The amateur league should have a very small prize like an avatar prop or something, while the pros either recieve cash or 800-1600 MSP per player. We could make the Pro league a pay to play league, but of course there's always the issue of money. If we do $10 a team that's a cost of $2.50 per player to earn a shot at their share of a $100 prize pool ($25). If players can't pay their way in, then they could either ask someone on their team, or we could try to provide more payment options.

4. Roster Sizes and Restrictions - In my opinion roster sizes should stay at 8. The AGLA already tried a roster limit of 6 and it only ended up hindering the ability for teams to get their games played. Besides, there's not many teams that hoard more than 4-5 eligible players on their roster anyways.

In regards to restrictions amateur teams shouldn't be allowed to pick up more than one pro caliber player. Say for instance a player like Determined dropped down to amateur, a player like Priest shouldn't be allowed to join him. We should have a certain rating system for rosters to determine their overall strength, and once a team passes a certain threshold they should be denied access to the amateur league. This should also work for denying teams access to the Pro league if they fail to meet the set requirement.

5. Division Choices and Scheduling - This shouldn't be a problem for Pro teams since most of the captains communicate well enough to schedule their games themselves, however we should still give lots of options to the amateurs. They're the ones that need someone to hold their hand since some of them don't even show up to begin with.

6. Inter Division play - I'm in favor of it for Pro league only. In fact, I don't think we should have divisions in Pro so everyone has the exact same schedule. As I said before the veteran teams are fully capable of making due with whatever when it comes to scheduling. It's those amateur teams you have to worry about, so I would so no inter divisional play for amateurs.

7. Length of season - I'm leaning towards either sticking with what we have, or increasing it slightly for Pros only. I don't want to increase it in amateur especially if a division has multiple forfeit factories in it.

8. Playoffs - I don't think every team should make playoffs, but I don't want to see pros only get 2-3 rounds of playoffs either. If we're going to make it an exclusive league keep the size of playoffs in mind.

9. Gametype - I already posted my thoughts on this, and think we should reallly do that scorefest setup I suggested earlier. If someone could find that and paste it here in the next few minutes that would be great. Otherwise I'll paste it here once I get on my computer. Basically I think the traditional 9 rounds is a little boring, and believe we can spice the games up with halftime shows and such.

UserPostedImage
Offline L1ght5aber  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 11:57:13 PM(UTC)
L1ght5aber

Medals: NGA SML12 Champion: NGA SML12 Champions

Groups: NGA SML12 Champions

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I suppose I'll toss in my two cents on a couple of these.

Pro/Ammy

If you guys can pull it off, then I'd say go for it, 100%. Like Active said, putting pros with ammies tends to lead to FF's and not too many games for the pros. An Ammy league would be a lot more conducive to bringing in rookies as well, especially with the promise of a prize (I'd suggest 400 points per winner.) Not sure how that skill threshold would be measured, but if you can figure it out then that sounds like a great idea as well.

Team Names/Roster Lock

Please don't put restrictions on what people can or can't name their teams. Part of the fun of Grifball is running into that one team name, whether it's Hot Bikini Guyz or Captain Crunch and the Cereal Killers, that just makes you burst out laughing. On a more general note, I see the league losing a couple teams if restrictions were put on naming teams. Besides, team names don't have any effect on the game proper. It's not broken, don't fix it.

I feel like a roster lock should be enforced at the end of Week 4. This would cut back on people getting traded right at the end of makeup week or week 5 just so they will end up on a playoff team. As far as trading itself, I pretty much agree with Active.

For roster sizes, division choices, interdivision play, and season length, I also agree with Active, no need to elaborate on that.

Playoffs

I don't have major suggestions for playoffs as a whole, but I do have a possible solution for people who don't report their games. At the start of make-up week, contact active captains and urge them to play games or report forfeits. Be sure to stress reporting the games no matter what the situation. If games go unreported, record them as a half-win, half-loss for each team. For example, if a team is 6-0 but doesn't report the last four games, their record will end up as 8-2. This will eliminate silly percentage averaging, while encouraging teams to report their games.

In ammy playoffs, a third-place game might be a fun way to get more playoff experience to rookie teams. I know I would have jumped at the chance to play more games as a rookie, hopefully that still holds true these days.

Gametype

Using the scorefest setup would be a nice way to step outside the box, not to mention the halftime show idea. I think it would be cool to set the ammies up to play two 12-minute halves, and pros to play three 15-minute periods. The pro gametype would be used throughout the season and playoffs, but the ammy gametype could be lengthened to two 15-minute halves in the playoffs. This might be a silly idea, but I'd like to hear thoughts on it.

Edited by user Saturday, March 2, 2013 11:57:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline ActiveHate  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2013 2:11:46 AM(UTC)
ActiveHate

@Lightsaber

The team names idea has been tossed around a bit because I feel it would allow teams to develop followings and a little more history behind them. Being able to change your team name is a bit absurd seeing as how some teams do it every season. How is someone new to Grifball supposed to recognize any of the teams from last season if they're watching a stream? Permanent team names make the league easier to follow for people that aren't yet in it.

As for the names themselves, I believe they reflect the image of the NGA. For instance a stream titled Seperate Intelligence vs Power Outage would be a lot more appetizing than That Nobody Team vs Another Group of Noobs. You get my point here? All this is to make the league more appealing to our audience to prove that Grifball can be competitive, and is taken seriously by our community. In my opinion the name restrictions would only have to apply to Pro teams only seeing as how they are the permanent franchises of our organization, and represent the face of the NGA.

In regards to the gametype I posted something quite similar in the Offical Maps and Gamtype thread, it's the last post on the first page. I think what I suggest was...

Pro league regular season games
2 15 minute halves for a total of 30 minutes
Unlimited Scoring
5-10 minute halftime

Pro league playoff games
4 15 minute quarters for a total of 1 hour
Unlimited Scoring
5 minute intermissions and 15 minute Halftime

Ammy league regular season games
2 12 minute halves for a total of 24 minutes
Score limit of 9-12
5-10 minute halftime

Ammy league playoff games
4 12 minute quarters for a total of 48 minutes
Score limit of 9-12
5 minute intermissions with 10-15 minute Halftime

The score limit is there for Ammy games so decent teams don't destroy rookies 100-0. Also there would be substitutions allowed in between each quarter or half. This means playoff games won't necessarily have to be best of 3 because your team will have ample oppurtunity to make adjustments to come back and win the game.

Edited by user Sunday, March 3, 2013 2:14:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline L1ght5aber  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2013 3:29:43 AM(UTC)
L1ght5aber

Medals: NGA SML12 Champion: NGA SML12 Champions

Groups: NGA SML12 Champions

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Gotcha, that makes a lot more sense. I was interpreting it more in the context of not allowing someone to utilize a name that they had used for a while because it was deemed "too silly" instead of encouraging the use of more well-known names.

Has the subject of a tiebreaker come up? Would it be a golden goal type thing, or do you have other plans?

If you wanted to, you could do a shootout-style tiebreaker. The way I imagine it is five rounds of 1v1. Everyone spawns in alternate rooms, then one person is chosen to walk forward onto the court and the other three step backward to teleport into a viewing area. The "shootout" players only have three lives (which hopefully will reduce the odds of tying a round on mutuals). Round is won if one of them scores or kills the other three times.

Probably a silly idea, but it would highlight individual players pretty well.

Offline LebroNation  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2013 3:33:27 AM(UTC)
LebroNation

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I really like any game types with no shields. And just regular shields for the runners
Offline NeO I iNeXuS2z  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:54:12 AM(UTC)
NeO I iNeXuS2z

Groups: Registered

Hi friends, I am new to the site but I would like to involve my team "NeOsSTar" in a competition but I do not understand much about it could you help me to make the team on the site because I don 'can not?
Thank you for your support :)
Offline ActiveHate  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:13:08 PM(UTC)
ActiveHate

Originally Posted by: NeO I iNeXuS2z Go to Quoted Post
Hi friends, I am new to the site but I would like to involve my team "NeOsSTar" in a competition but I do not understand much about it could you help me to make the team on the site because I don 'can not?
Thank you for your support :)

Welcome to the site! Unforunately Season 3 has just ended, and we're waiting to announce the beginning of Season 4. You see, we run "seasons" which are practically longer tournaments held over several weeks. You play a set number of games per week, and the teams with the best records make playoffs. Once we announce signups for Season 4, you will find a link on the front page.

In the meantime you can sign your team up in our regular BOMBs. BOMB's are single day tournaments that we hold every so often. You'll always find a tab at the top with information regarding any scheduled BOMBs, but so far we haven't announced the next one. It should be within the next few days, just keep checking the site, and post in the forums to get involved with the community!
UserPostedImage